Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Tippi Hedren / The Revenge of Alfred Hitchcock’s Muse


Tippi Hedren

The Revenge of Alfred Hitchcock’s Muse

Interview by ANDREW GOLDMAN OCT. 5, 2012


The new HBO movie “The Girl” depicts your relationship with Alfred Hitchcock, who, after giving you your first movie role in “The Birds,” plants an unwanted kiss on you, tries to blackmail you for sex and stalks you. Why would he do these things? 
He was a misogynist. That man was physically so unattractive. I think to have a mind that thought of himself as an attractive, romantic man and then to wake up in the morning and look at that face and that body was tough. I think he had a whole lot of problems.

Tippi Hedren

The film made me ponder the expression “Revenge is a dish best served cold.” Is there any satisfaction in exacting revenge on a man who has been dead 32 years? 
Well, I don’t know that I’ve gotten any revenge on him. Maybe this movie is a bit. But I’m not the first one this happened to. Other actresses never made any overt statements about it. What he did with his life is astounding. There is no one in this world that did films like he did. Nobody.
The worst abuse happened after you rebuffed his advances. Actors have been known to sleep with less powerful directors for advancement in show business. Did you ever consider it? 
I have a strong Lutheran background, and my parents instilled in me strong morals. This was something I could never have done. I was not interested in him that way at all. I was fortunate enough to work with him, and as far as I was concerned, he ruined everything.
There is a scene in “The Girl” — as well as in the Donald Spoto book it’s based on — in which Hitchcock informs you that you are to be sexually available to him any time, any place. How do you even respond to that? 
I said, I’ve got to get out of the contract. He said, I’ll ruin your career. And he did. He wouldn’t let me out of the contract. I’d be a really big star if he hadn’t stopped my career. There were so many people who wanted me for their films. All he said was, “She isn’t available.” That’s a mean, mean man.
You’ve said that his wife, Alma, knew of his obsession with you. 
That couple was an enigma to all of Hollywood. At one point, she came to me during “Marnie” and said, “I’m so sorry you have to go through all of this,” and I looked at her and said, “Alma, you could stop it.” Her eyes just glazed over, and she turned and left.



Photo

Tippi HedrenCreditBrad Swonetz for The New York Times

How did you react to the news of his death? 
Relief.
Of course, you must not have gone to his funeral. 
I did.
Why? I would assume the only reason you’d want to see his grave is to spit on it. 
You don’t get it. He ruined my career, but he didn’t ruin my life. That time of my life was over. I still admire the man for who he was.
Years later, you bought a huge piece of land in California, where you still live, acquired a number of big cats and spent a decade making a movie with them called “Roar.” During the filming, a lion scratched your daughter, Melanie Griffith, and she needed plastic surgery. The cinematographer was scalped, and your former husband was mauled. Were you naïve about the dangers? 
We had not a clue what we were doing. We really didn’t. We had wanted to use Hollywood acting animals, but because instinct dictates a cat will fight a cat they didn’t know, all of the cat trainers said: “I don’t want my cat hurt, and I don’t want to get hurt. Get your own animals to do the movie.” We were in a learning process.
There’s a photo of you and a teenage Melanie, whose head is six inches away from Neil, your first live-in lion. 
He was not a live-in lion. Sometimes I get so annoyed with you writers.
The caption from your book reads, “Melanie and I with Neil, our first live-in lion.” 
O.K., I missed that one. O.K.
Does Melanie ever say at Christmas, “Mom, thank God I wasn’t eaten by the lions”? 
Oh, we all say that. Thank God we made it. Thank God nobody was killed. We all say that.



No comments:

Post a Comment